Bali looks set to reopen to international tourists
Bali, Indonesia’s famous holiday island, is set to reopen to international tourists in September. Bali had officially reopened to domestic tourists on July 31, as part of its three-step plan to resume travel activities.
As outlined by Bali governor Wayan Koster in July, the provincial government is expected to re-evaluate the plan on opening the border for international tourists “by the end of August” for an opening date of September 11.
These plans have been given a further shot-in-the-arm following comments by Indonesia’s Coordinating Minister for Maritime Affairs and Investment, Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan. During an address to the Jakarta Foreign Correspondents Club, Luhut was reportedly asked directly if the 11 September plan was on track.
“Well, yes. I think I heard Australia has a plan to do so [open travel bubbles]. They especially love Bali. We can consider that one. The rest so far, with China, yes we are discussing a travel bubble with China,” Luhut said, as reported by The Sydney Morning Herald.
“tiate with Australia, we will see what happens. I think what they need from us and what we need from them, we have to negotiate on that. Their standards have to be to the standard of here, because no one can claim they are better than others.”
Australia’s federal Tourism Minister, Simon Birmingham, has warned Australians that the border is likely to remain shut into 2021. “With our international borders expected to remain closed for the foreseeable future, our priority is getting Australians travelling to other parts of Australia, where it is safe to do so thanks to the successful suppression of COVID-19,” Birmingham said, as reported by The Australian Financial Review.