Travel more and live healthier with an activity-focused trip to Tacoma
You can meet your 2019 goals to travel more and live healthier with an activity-focused trip to Tacoma, Washington. Whether it’s a day trip or a long weekend, you’ll be within reach of activities from mountain to city to sea. Overnight options range from a secluded cabin to a waterfront hotel. Plan now for an action-packed visit.
– Ski or snowboard at Crystal Mountain Resort, the state’s largest ski resort. Lessons, camps and a parents’ program are offered at many ability levels.
– Climb the indoor rock walls at Edgeworks in Tacoma. Explore 10,000 square feet of climbing space and a unique top-out bouldering section. Suitable for various ages and abilities.
Save the date: March 2 is the “Foothills Dash” fun run/walk on the Foothills Trail in Orting. Sponsored by Pierce County; includes options for a 1 mile, 5K, 10K and half marathon.
– Join the Tacoma City Marathon May 4-5, with a variety of distances available.
– Make it a road trip and bring your mountain bike. Swan Creek Park’s 50-acre mountain bike area has easy and advanced trails, and a technical skill-building zone.
Save the date: May 31 launches SEVENTY48, a challenging sea race for paddlers and rowers. Participants have 48 hours to cover 70 miles from Tacoma to Port Townsend.
– Test your endurance in the Lakewood SummerFEST Triathlon in July. Swim in American Lake, bike through the Lakewood area and run at Fort Steilacoom Park.
– Bike through Tacoma and the South Sound as part of the 200-mile Seattle to Portland cycling event, which will draw thousands of riders July 13-14.
Save the date: Early August arrives with the annual “Unleashed” stair-running event and animal welfare fundraiser. Participants run up and down the staircases at historic Stadium Bowl.
– Enjoy sunny fall days at Chambers Bay Golf Course. New Poa annua putting greens will be completed in March, enhancing the experience at the home of the 2015 U.S. Open.
– Hike the trails at Mount Rainier National Park and prepare to see colorful foliage, waterfalls and wildlife.
Save the date: Dec. 10-15, the USA Cycling Cyclocross National Championships ride the trails at Fort Steilacoom Park.
For more information: Tacoma South Sound Sports Commission